A TRUE minimalist might go without makeup and be stoked to embrace their natural beauty. I wear makeup about 50% of the time, and have compiled this list for anyone who still wants to wear makeup, but still be able to fit it into a travel-sized makeup bag. I include the specific natural products I use at the end of the guide, but keep in mind, I have extremely dry skin. I encourage anyone to look for products from the detoxmarket.com, safeandchic.com, cowgirldirt.com, coastalclassiccreations.com, or thrivemarket.com. Mine come from thedetoxmarket.com. I believe the concept of simplicity should apply to anything you put on or in your body as well. Know and understand your ingredients, ladies ;).
Basic Makeup List:
- Foundation or tinted moisturizer
- Lip to Cheek stick
- Eyeshadow and some sort of applicator
- Brow filler & brush
- You could include some sort of face brush or a beauty blender that you change out often here, but because I’m a mom that hardly has five minutes to spare for makeup application…I just….wait for it…use my hands!
So, you’ll see that this isn’t entirely bare-bones, and covers almost everything. How many of us have/had an entire multi-level makeup box full though? Mine was full of multiples of everything and that just seems ridiculous. Buy an eyeshadow palette that is flattering and ranges from day to night wear. I actually phased out my conventional makeup for natural products over time. As I ran out of one thing, I replaced it with something deliciously chemical free :). However, I never did use my eyeshadow palettes, and I feel like most people won’t. Just toss those and get a new one. It will be exciting and you’ll eliminate the bad stuff. If using conventional makeup is your jam and you already have some, just keep those 8 items and you should be good to go. We don’t really need two of anything. I used to save makeup to wear on HALLOWEEN the next year!
My makeup bag looks like this:
- Stratus Luminous Skin Perfecting Primer by Vapour
- Vivid Foundation by Ilia in Gobi or Atmosphere Luminous Foundation by Vapour in 123
- Multi-Stick by Ilia in At Last
- Ilia Highlighter in Polka Dots & Moonbeams (This is probably unnecessary)
- Lili Lolo Laid Bare Eye Palette (My eyes are green so this worked pretty well for me)
- Natural Definition Eye Pencil by Alima Pure in Coffee
- I alternate between Well People Expressionist Mascara in Purple and a black one by Vegan Good Lash
- Eyebrow Defining Wax by ECOBROW in Marilyn
I have to say that I think all of this makeup is a bit expensive. W3ll People (which can be found at Target, The Detox Market, and Safe & Chic) is a more affordable alternative to all of these, and if W3LL People also seems on the higher side, just check the ingredients in more affordable makeup such as Physician’s Formula. There is a new brand of “natural” makeup at Wal-Mart called Found. I am not going to suggest you try it yet, because I have no idea how natural it actually is. I’ll get back to you on that later. You can use EWG.ORG‘s SkinDeep database to double check makeup ingredients or look for more suggestions.